Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Organization, Laziness or Both?

Of late I have been thinking of ways to stream line the every day circumstances in life. In my work, a theme with clients is bubbling up. Person after person is dragging and feeling the energy drain and I realize that doing everyday chores can take a bunch of that energy and if you are not organized, it can seem daunting. At times I have felt this overwhelmedness and quite frankly Scarlet- I don't like it! So, my brain, the way it is wired, will ponder and process ways to make things easier, more efficient, or more cost effective until a solution comes.
Underneath this all though is the true desire in me to be lazy.


Agatha Christie writes:
I don’t think necessity is the mother of invention – invention, in my opinion, arises directly from idleness, possibly also from laziness. To save oneself trouble.


I want to save myself and others trouble. So I have collected here a few ideas that I have learned over the years to make life easier. If you have any tips, add them too--we can all benefit from your knowledge.


Food
1. Create a weekly meal plan. My sister DeeDee has done this so well. She includes a shopping list and recipes for a nights worth of meals. She has three weeks planned out and rotates them throughout the year. The methodology is great and her meals are tasty. Worth a try. Click here for a sample of her weekly menu.


2. Cook ahead. If you are like me, you get home and are hungry for food right away and look blankly at the refrigerator. And, inevitably, I will sigh and say we have nothing to eat- when really we do, but I am feeling lazy. So, I spend some time cooking when I am not rushed and I can enjoy the experience and store the food for future use. Then when I get home, I microwave or reheat items over the stove and Presto! a nutritious meal.


3. Eat left overs. Have left over day, clean out the fridge, get creative. It feels good because you are not wasting food and it helps you take stock of what you need or still have for future meals.


Clothing
1. Set out clothes at night. We have spent many a morning where the kids are wondering what to wear, switching clothes out, putting them in the dirty bin (when they are not dirty) and overall mayhem when you should be in the car on your way to work. Too much hassle for a morning! If you really want to feel organized, purchase a sweater organizer and have your kids pick out clothes for the week. This can work very well. Have them include underwear and socks too, so all they have to do is go to the organizer, pick a set of clothes and get on with your day.


2. Purchase thrift store clothing, have kids pick sets of clothes that can be considered outfits. Kids grow so quickly and pop out of their clothes before you know it. Why not save a bunch of money and have the kids go crazy shopping in the store? You can get a lot of outfits at the thrift store within a reasonable budget.


3. Donate clothes that do not fit to Volunteers of America or another good place. Clothes that do not fit just take up space and complicate things when trying to set out clothes for the morning.


These are just a few ideas and I may post more at a later time. I know you folks out there have found other ways to economize and simplify life. Please share your thoughts. Inquiring minds want to know!

Christmas 2007- Organization at it's finest!

2 comments:

Merrycricket said...

Is it really laziness or is it that we want to have more time for the things that really matter? I want short cuts because I want real balance in my life. I want time to explore new things, be with friends and family and I want to have energy when I am doing those things that I enjoy.

So, that said, I'm sharing my favorite site for getting things done.

http://www.flylady.net/

Flylady is a great website to staying organized and enjoying life. The tips you share from DeeDee are similar to some of the tips I have found on flylady. Hope this helps.

Frank L said...

I love leftovers day! I should add that many concoctions have gotten invented that way--got a few items left and figure out a way to put them together into something.

I think getting organized and shceduling is important. That is hard for me to swallow, since I am not an organized person. But what I have discovered is that if I don't plan ahead and schedule I end up doing more work later. The goal here is to be lazy, so actually being planful can make my life lazier than if I were running around behind-schedule all the time.