Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lenten Promises

This year Lent has a special meaning for me. It is my hope to experience renewal and resurrection from where I have been. Jackie Schmitz CSJ echoes my thoughts:

I long for Lent to be a season of growth, a time when one can sit quietly and reflectively, patiently waiting for silent change to take place. I long for Lent to be a journey to a place of stillness, trusting in that process, growth will take place, transformation will occur and God will tend the soil of my soul and nurture new life. With courage and grace, I will then enter into that great mystery of renewal, death and resurrection.
.
My main goal is to pay attention, be open and welcome the spirit of God within me and others.
I have chosen to give up sugar this Lenten season- no easy feat. If you know me, you know I have an extreme sweet tooth. I have been successful the first 2 of the 40 days--yahoo. I am practicing remembrance of my goals every time I swoop past the kitchen -eyeing the triple ginger cookies from Trader Joes. I have decided that cereal, granola bars and the like are just hidden forms of sugar. The hardest thing for me so far is to pass up sugar in my tea.
.
I used to be really focused on doing something for Lent instead of giving something up, but I think the combo of a little sacrifice and the reminder to be open and pay attention is a life giving thing.

No comments: