Saturday, August 2, 2008

Zucchini in the Garden

Picked my first zucchini from the garden and have been wondering what to do with it. Squash is not my favorite veggie, but I know it is good stuff nutritionally.

I came upon a blog today that talks about fried battered squash. I must admit it looks good. See for yourself here.

I also have made zuccanoes in the past with a recipe doctored up from the Moosewood Cookbook- very yummy, but the kids are not as fond of it and it requires baking, which in an un-airconditioned house does not appeal to me.

So, I will try this fried squash recipe and see how that goes over. By the way, I tried fried cheese at the North Market today- fantastic! That topped off with a smoothie from Bubbles and we were all set- a real treat.

5 comments:

Katy said...

We love the zuke around here.
Zuchhini bread, zucchini pancakes (yummy), zucchini-chocolate cake, fried zucchini, zucchini in stir fry, zucchini in salad, steamed zucchini etc.
you get the idea.
let me know which recipes you'd like. :)

Erin said...

Thanks Katy,
I was dreaming about zucchini bread this morning as I woke up- got a good recipe?

I am thinking about adding zucchini to hashbrowns.

Frank L said...

I bet Alea could figure out what to do with it!

Frank L said...

I got it! I saw this on a cooking show a while back with this recipe:

Shred up the zuccini and mix it into ground pork sausage to make meatballs! The zuccini keeps the meatballs very moist, which is sometimes necessary with pork.

I don't remember where this comes from, but I believe somewhere in South or Central America.

Erin said...

I found a recipe for zucchini and pork meatballs :

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=554673

I just may give it a try. Tonight I am going to use 1/2 the zucchini cut up into rounds, breaded and fried for a side dish- and I may even salt them :-)

Thanks for your idea Frank.